- Mt Diablo/ south. The most challenging. Can be done from the south or from the
north. From the south: take the El Cerro (Danville) exit off 680, drive east as El Cerro Blvd turns into Blackhawk Rd, park at the junction with Creekledge
(Map of the starting point).
- Mt Diablo/ north.
From the north: take the Ygnacio Valley Blvd exit off 680 (one exit north of 24), turn right (passing in front of the BART station) and go east on Ygnacio Valley Blvd for a few kms (do NOT turn into Walnut Blvd); past the Muir Medical Center and past San Carlos Dr, turn right into Walnut Avenue, drive all the way to the end of it and turn right into Oak Grove Rd and immediately left into North Gate Rd. You can park about 200 meters before the ranger station on either side of the road.
Map of North Gate
- Fremont Loop. Take the 84 exit off 880, and follow signs for 84 east that turns into Mowry. Turn left on Mission and immediately
right onto Old County Rd. Park. (Map of the starting point).
The loop can be done either way, but I recommend you start on 84 east
(Niles Canyon to Foothill Rd). This will go parallel to 680 for a while (if you
go under 680, you made a mistake) until you almost hit 580. Turn left on
Dublin Canyon just before the 580 freeway overpass. Turn left into
Palo Verde and then left again into Palomares, which will take you back to
Niles Canyon. Rolling hills, about 50 kms.
- Redwood/Chabot loop in San Leandro.
Take the Golf Links/ 98th Ave exit off 580 and go east on Golf Links.
Park in San Leandro on Golf Links & Dorisa Ave, at the beginning of the
Ride east on Golf Links, which turns into Skyline Blvd and heads north,
turn right into Pinehurst, which turns south and continue south for
about 24 kms (it becomes Redwood Rd), turn right into Seven Hills Rd, turn right into Lake
Chabot Rd, turn right into McArthur, turn right into 98th and right
again into Golf Links.
- San Leandro to Berkeley.
From the south: take 580 north, then the hwy 13 north and the Carson/Redwood Rd exit off highway 13 and drive east on Redwood Rd.
From the north: take 580 south, exit at 35th Ave and go east until it turns into Redwood Rd.
Either way, turn left into Sereno Cir and park.
Ride east on Redwood Rd that cuts through the park. Turn left (north) into
Pinehurst Rd, which ascends steeply. When you get to the top, it's 15 kms.
Turn right into Skyline which eventually
changes name to Grizzly Peak Blvd. Continue north on Grizzly Peak Blvd and turn
right into South Park Dr. Turn right into Wildcat Canyon, which goes north and
then bends east.
Turn right and go south on Camino Pablo. Turn right and go
west on El Toyonal/ Loma Dr/ El Toyonal/ Vista del Orinda/ Las Pietra / Lomas Contadas (careful you don't miss a turn, and it's very steep).
Turn left on Grizzly Peak Blvd
which changes name to Skyline Blvd and takes you
back to the starting point. 65 kms total.
- Three Bears (70 kms).
Go up Spruce St in Berkeley. Turn right into Wildcat Canyon. Go down. Turn
left onto San Pablo Dam, right into Castro Ranch Rd, right into Alhambra Valley Rd, right on Bear Creek Rd.
Turn left and go south on Camino Pablo.
Turn right and go west on El Toyonal/ Loma Dr/ El Toyonal/ Vista del Orinda/ Las Pietra / Lomas Contadas (careful you don't miss a turn, and it's very steep). Turn left on Grizzly Peak Blvd.
Turn right into Claremont and then right again into Ashby.
- Moraga loop (100 kms).
Park @ Miramonte High School (from Hwy 24E, exit Orinda/Moraga, R on Moraga,
R on Ivy about 8 kms down).
Right on Moraga Way.
Right on Canyon Rd.
Right on Pinehurst Rd.
Right on Skyline Blvd.
Right on Grizzly Peak Blvd.
Right on Wildcat Canyon.
Left on San Pablo Dam Rd.
Right on Castro Ranch Rd.
Left on Alhambra Valley Rd (becomes San Pablo Ave).
Right on San Pablo Ave.
Left on Parker (becomes San Pablo Ave).
Right @ fwy entrance in Crockett (San Pablo becomes Pomona, then Carquinez.
Right on McEwan Rd (tough climb!).
Left on Franklin Canyon Rd.
Right on Alhambra Rd.
Right on Alhambra Valley Rd.
Left on Bear Creek Rd.
Left on Camino Pablo/San Pablo Dam Rd.
Bear right where Camino Pablo joins Moraga Way.
Right on Ivy back to Miramonte HS.
- Mt Tamalpais. Take 101 north of the Golden Bridge and get off at the hwy 1 exit. Go west under the freeway. Follow signs for hwy 1 and then signs for Mt Tamalpais. Park at the four-way intersection with Muir Woods Rd and Sequoia Valley Rd.
Climb up Pacific Highway and bear right to reach the summit. Then ride back down and turn right into West Ridgecrest.
Turn right into Bolinas Rd to Fairfax. Turn right into Francis Drake Blvd to Kentfield. TUrn right into College Ave to Larkspur.
Go south on Magnolia/Madera Ave to Mill valley, where the road changed name to Camino Alto.
(Faifarx to here is about 15 kms).
Turn right into Blithedale, go straight to the square, then turn left into Throckmorton and immediately left on Ethel and immediately right on Wildomar. Wildomar crosses Molino and eventually ends on Edgewood Ave. Turn right into Edgewood and then left on Sequoia valley.
(Last stretch is about 4 kms).
Total is about 60kms but very hilly.
- Rodeo Beach. Take 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge and take the first exit.
Turn left and go under the freeway and then immediately left again. Park. Ride
up the hill to Rodeo Beach, then follow the road to the tunnel. Turn right after the tunnel and continue straight.
- Circumnavigation of Mt Tam. Park in Mill Valley. RIde north on Camino/Magnolia/College/Center to Larkspur and Faifax (15kms), east on Bolinas Rd towards Bolinas (15 kms), south on Ridgecrest Bl 8 kms), east on Panoramic (hwy 1) to Mill Valley (14 kms). Total: 52 kms.
- Page Mill Rd loop. Take the Page Mill Rd exit off 280. Park. Ride west to the skyline (14 kms steep uphill), then turn right on 35/skyline, then turn right into Old La Honda or into 84, then turn right into Alameda/ Foothill Expressway, then turn right into Page Mill Rd.
- Page Mill Rd to Pescadero. Take the Page Mill Rd exit off 280. Park. Ride west to the skyline (14 kms steep uphill, then continue straight downhill (11 kms). Turn left at the fork to Pescadero (18kms to Pescadero). Turn right/north on Stage Rd and follow Stage Rd to 84 (10 kms). Turn right into 84 east. Turn right (after 20 kms) into Old La Honda. Go through 35 (2kms) and down Old LaHonda (5kms). Turn right into Portola Rd, left on Alpine and right into Arastradero Rd (8 kms). Total: 43 kms to Pescadero and 45 kms back, i.e. 88 kms.
- Kings Mountain Rd. Take the Woodside Rd exit off 280 and go west to Canada Rd. Park. Ride up Woodside Rd for about 2 kms, turn right into Kings Mountain Rd, ride up to the
skyline (35), turn right into 35, turn right into 92, turn right into Canada Rd.
- Half Moon Bay/Tunitas Creek. Take the 84 exit off 280, drive west to Canada Rd, park. Bike up Canada Rd, turn left on 92, turn left on hwy 1, turn left on Tunitas Rd which turns into Kings Canyon and returns to 84.
- Woodside Rd/Tunitas Creek. Take the 84 exit off 280, drive west to Robert's Market, park.
Bike west on Woodside Rd (84) to the Skyline
(hwy 35), continue straight down towards the ocean, turn right into Stage Rd
just before you hit the ocean, a little later turn right into hwy 1, a little
later turn right into Tunitas Rd (long and steep uphill), which turns into
Kings Canyon (steep downhill) and returns to 84 (60 kms total).
- Pacifica/Half Moon Bay. Take the 92 exit off 280, go west, park at the junction with Skyline Blvd. Bike north on Skyline Blvd to the Crystal Springs paved trail. Continue north at the end of the trail and take the freeway for just one exit. Take the new trail on the left and continue north along the paved trail that ends on 35. Continue north on 35 to Sharp Ave. Turn left on Sharp. Turn left on hwy 1, turn left on 92.
- Half Moon Bay/Lobitos. Take the 84 exit off 280,
drive west to Robert's Market, park. Take Canada Rd north to 92, then up 92
west to the top and continue down 92 to Half Moon Bay. Turn south on Hwy 1,
then turn left on Higgins/Purissima, then south on Lobitos Creek, then
west on Tunitas Creek, down King's Mountain back to Robert's.
- Alpine Rd. Take the Woodside Rd exit off 280 and go west to Canada Rd. Park. Ride up Woodside Rd to the skyline (35) and continue downhill till Sky Honda.
Turns left towards Pescadero. At the next fork bear left and continue uphill.
The road will eventually return to the skyline.
- Pescadero. Take the Woodside Rd exit off 280 and go west to Canada Rd. Park. Ride up Woodside Rd to the skyline (35) and continue downhill till Sky Honda.
Turns left towards Pescadero. Turn right towards Pescadero. In Pescadero turn right into Stage Rd and then right on 84.
(Woodside-Pescadero= 45 kms; Pescadero-San Gregorio = 12 kms; San Gregorio-Woodside=41 kms; Total= 98 kms)
- Portola Valley. Take the Sand Hill Rd exit off 280 and go west to Portola. Park. Continue riding Portola Rd. Turn left on Alpine,
left on Golden Oak, right again on Alpine, left on Los Trancos, left on
Ramona, left on Vista Verde, right on Spanish Trail, left on Joaquin Rd,
right on Alpine Rd, left on Willowbrook, which takes you back to Portola Rd.
- Woodside to Crystal Springs. Start from Canada Rd and Hwy 84. Bike north on Canada Rd past Hwy 92. Turn right into Crystal Springs Rd.
Option 1: Turn right into Polhemus that turns into Ralston; after passing over Hwy 92, turn right into Hallmark Dr.
Option 2: Further down on Crystal Springs, turn right into Alameda de las Pulgas; after passing over Hwy 92, right into Ralston; turn left into Hallmark Dr.
Hallmark Dr is closed to cars but not to bicycles.
Eventually it starts climbing and becomes Crestview Rd that, after a steep
descent, dead ends on Edgewood Rd.
Turn left into Edgewood and then right into Cordilleras and immediately
left onto Lakeview. Follow the main road that turns counterclockwise while
it climbs steeply. Keep following the road that will eventually hit
Jefferson St. At this five-way intersection go straight into Jefferson St and then right into Emerald Hill Rd.
This dead ends on Farm Hill Blvd. Turn right to the top. At the top of Farm
Hill Blvd (after Eden Bower Ln) turn right into Canada College.
Turn left at the first stop sign and right at the next one. At the bottom
of the hill, turn left into Canada Rd to return to Woodside.
- Mt Hamilton from San Jose. Take the Alum Rock exit off 680, drive east until you see
the sign to turn right to Mt Hamilton (begininng of Mt Hamilton Rd). Park and
ride. It's about 32kms to the top (one way).
- Mt Hamilton from Livermore. Start from the junction at Del Valle Park. Bike south on Mines Rd for 38 kms to Del Puerto Rd. Go straight for another 20 kms. It then starts going up very steeply for 9kms. Total: 67 kms one way.
- Mt Hamilton from Pleasanton. From Pleasanton follow directions to DelValle Park. You can park here and start a very long bike ride, or drive further up as much as you like. This is much steeper than the San Jose direction.
- Sierra Rd. Take the Capitol Rd exit off 680 and then head east/south on Capitol Rd. Turn left into Sierra Rd. Or take the Berryessa exit and go east to Capitol Ave, turn left into Capital Ave and then right into Sierra Rd. This is one of the steepest roads in the Bay Area, starting with an almost 15% grade.
- Cupertino-Saratoga loop. Take the Foothill Expressway exit off 280, go south, park. Bike south along the reservoir, turn right into Stevens Canyon Rd, turn left on Redwood Gulch Rd, turn left on hwy 9, turn left into Pierce Rd, turn left into Mt Eden Rd and you are back to the reservoir. Very steep hills but very short overall. A longer loop is go to up all the way hwy 9 to the skyline.
- Bohlmann & Orbit. Start in Saratoga at the intersection of Bohlmann & Sixth. Go up Bohlmann, turn left on Orbit, which then joins Bohlmann again to a dead end. A dirt road leads down to Montevina Rd, which dead ends on highway 17.
- Hicks Rd/ Almaden. Take the Camden Avenue offramp off hwy 85 and go south for 5kms. Turn right on Hicks Rd. Park and ride to the top. At the top, turn right into Tumunhum Rd, which is a very steep ascent
almost to the top of Mt Tumunhum. The paved road actually goes all the way to
the top (and then down towards the Lexington reservoir), but unfortunately it
is a private road and a big sign "no trespassing" discourages further exploration. Bike back down to the intersection and turn right into what is now
Almaden Rd, which takes you to Almaden Expressway. Turn left on Camden to get
back to the starting point. 34 kms total.
- Big Basin. Take the Foothill Expressway exit off 280, go south, park. Bike south along the reservoir, turn right into Stevens Canyon Rd, turn left on Redwood Gulch Rd, turn left on hwy 9. Continue straight on hwy 9 to the park.
- Empire Grade. Take hwy 1 into downtown Santa Cruz and continue
on Mission Rd. Turn right into Bay and park at the junction with Hill. Ride up Hill and then Empire Grade. The road will eventually dead end at the Lockheed plant. Returning down on Empire Grade, turn right on Sunny Doon Rd to the coast,
left on hwy 1.
- Doon, Empire and Alba Grade.
Drive to Santa Cruz. Park near UC Santa Cruz (see above).
Bike north on Hwy 1 for about 15 kms, bike up Boony Doon to Pine Flat Grade
to Empire Grade (24kms), down Jamison grade and 236 to Boulder
Creek (16kms), up Alba Rd (7kms), down Empire Grade (20 kms)
to UC Santa Cruz.
- Alba Rd. Park in Boulder Creek. Ride 9 south (5 kms), turn left on Alba Rd to Empire Grade (6kms), continue on Empire Grade to Jamison (12kms), turn right into Jamison to 236 (5 kms), turn left into 236 to China Grade (3kms), China Grade to 236 (5 kms), with a possible detour to the dead end of China Grade and back to 236 (4kms each way), go east on 236 to hwy 9 (6kms), turn right into 9 to Boulder Creek (13kms). Total: 55kms (+10kms if you do China Grade to the dead end and back). The hills are very steep.
- Boulder Creek loop. Take the Bear Creek Rd exit off 17 and drive 6kms west to the intersection with Summit Rd. Park and ride down Bear Rd to Boulder Creek (16 kms), then ride down highway 9 to Bon Lomond and turn left on Glen, then left again on Quail Hollow, then left again on East Zayante Rd. This eventually climbs very steeply towards the starting point. The total distance is 43 kms.
- Monterey to Pacific Grove to 17 mile drive
- Minitour of Gold Country.
Start: E.Natoma Rd & Folsom Dam Rd (Folsom lake)
From starting point on Green Valley Rd to Salmon Falls Rd: 8kms
From Salmon Falls Rd to Lotus Rd: 15kms
From beginning of Lotus Rd to Coloma: 13kms
From Coloma to Pilot Hill (Salmon Falls Rd): 11kms
Stop one hour at Marshall Gold Discovery Park
(Park description, Park description, Park description, Ph: 530 622-3470, Map)
From Pilot Hill to Auburn: 16kms
From Auburn to Granite Bay: 21kms
>br>From Granite Bay (Folsom lake) to starting point: 11kms
Grand total: 95 kms
Epic riders can do an extra 5kms somewhere to make it a 100k.
Wimps can take the Salmon Falls Rd shortcut that is about 18kms
instead of 38kms, thus saving 16kms.