- ++Sana'a (the largest preserved medina in the Arab world, central market, Souq al-Milh, Al-Jami' al-Kabir great mosque built around 630AD)
- Fly to Seiyun
- Seiyun/Seyun (capital of Kathiri Sultanate)
- Tarim (365 mosques, al-Muhdar minaret, Al-Ahqaf library)
- ++Shibam (500 traditional-style high-rise buildings crammed into half a square km)
- Fly to Sanaa
- +Wadi Dahr rock palace
- +Jibla (+Queen Arwa mosque) and +Ibb
- Other attractions: friday market at Bayt al-Faqih, +AL Hajjarah fortified village, Manakha, Ta'izz (medieval capital), Aden, Marib (100 kms east of Sana, capital of the ancient kingdom of Sheba/Saba, Temple of Bilqis 400BC, Great Dam of Ma'rib 700BC), +Al-Mukalla , Shaharah's fortified village
Sanaa hotel: +Al Shamiri ($11).
Yemen is one of the few countries where an organized tour is advisable because the tourist needs a tour permit (written in Arabic). Airports and police checkpoint will check your itinerary.
Yemenia Airlines is excellent.
Seyoun is the airport for Shibam and Tarim. The flight Sanaa-Seyoun is about $90 each way. Hotel Al-Barj $11. Shibam has no hotels. Shibam is about 30 minutes from Seyoun. Tarim is a further 20 minutes.
There is no crime in Yemen
Credit cards and traveler cheques are accepted only at major hotels
The road to Ibb is an attraction in itself (a steep descent into a valley)
Everybody chews qat (a mild drug). The problem is that they do it also when they drive.
If you only have a few days, focus on the villages in the north.
Trip difficulty: moderate
Length: 7 days
Season: Spring or Fall
Approximate cost: $500