Children's Stupidity, Adult Intelligence and Machine Intelligence
- Human babies are the dumbest babies in the animal kingdom
- Other animals start walking and eating right after being born; human babies need to be fed and protected for years
- Human parents need to take care of the most helpless babies in the animal kingdom
- The dumber the children, the smarter the parents have to be in order to keep them alive
- Dumb children require very smart adults in order to survive
- Dumb children explain why human intelligence is the best in the animal kingdom
- There is a direct correlation between the degree of intelligence in the adults and the degree of "stupidity" in their offspring
- You create very intelligent parents by giving them very dumb children to watch, protect, lecture, etc
- There is a self-reinforcing loop at work: because humans make the dumbest children, they must be very intelligent adults; and, viceversa, in order to produce intelligent adults the children must be very dumb
- I wonder if a similar self-reinforcing loop is at work on the intelligence of technology: does technology make dumber humans in order for humans to invent smarter technology to deal with dumber humans, technology which will in turn make humans even dumber?
- Human children are also uniquely prone to destruction: they destroy objects,
and they even harm fellow children. Human children would create violent and
anarchic societies if adults weren't able to create ordered societies.
The more "anarchic" the babies, the more organized the adults need to be.
The adults need to create the social infrastructure that will contain the
anarchic self-destructive tendencies of their children.
- Human children are also unique in the way they disobey adults. Cubs of other species are happy to follow their parents and live the same lives that their parents and ancestors lived. Human children are rebels from a very young age and, later in teenagehood, they may even become ashamed of living the same life that their parents lived. The problem, of course, is that they might repeat the mistakes that their parents narrowly survived. The less obedient the children, the stricter must be the society created by their parents.
- Basically, the fact that human children are so "retarded" compared with other animals has required the evolution of adult brains that are so "smart" compared with other animals. The fact that human children are destructive and disobedient has required the evolution of adult brains that are very good at creating organized societies. One can view all the fundamental attributes of human civilization as a consequence of adults having to raise children who are so unlikely to survive.
- I wonder if a similar self-reinforcing loop is at work on the intelligence of technology. Humans seem programmed to "abuse" every new technology to create as much chaos as possible (see the congested traffic of cars or the cacophony of social media) which leads to new technologies for organizing that chaos (whether traffic lights or software robots). Does technology make more anarchic humans in order for humans to invent better organizing technology to deal with more anarchic humans, technology which will in turn make humans even more anarchic?
- Humans also seem programmed to use every new technology for destructive purposes, even when technology was invented precisely to improve security and peace. Think of airplanes, invented to connect people but first massively used in two world wars, or think of "fake news" and trolls on the very social media that were invented to help strangers become friends. Does technology make more destructive humans in order for humans to invent more peaceful technology to deal with more destructive humans, technology which will in turn make humans even more destructive?